Welcome to Ephedra Healthcare Limited
Ephedra is the Federation for the 9 Welwyn and Hatfield Practices in Hertfordshire which serves approximately 120,000 patients.
"A Federation is a group of practices and primary care teams working together, sharing responsibility for developing and delivering high quality, patient focussed services for their local communites." RCGP Toolkit, 2011
Ephedra was formed in 2008 after the then PCT (Primary Care Trust) announced plans for a Walk-in ('Darzy') Centre to be opened in the locality. With the dedication and determination of local GPs and Practice Managers, they came together with the idea of Ephedra for which all practices became shareholders.
A plan was put together to open a dedicated walk-in centre (Spring House) to serve our local community, by our local doctors and nurses. They bid through a procurement process, and after a gruelling process they were awarded the contract in November 2008. Spring House was built, and opened in 2009.
Other projects that Ephedra are, and have been involved in, include:
- Provision of GP's and reception staff at The Urgent Care Centre at QEII Hospital, Welwyn Garden City
- Provision of GP's in the Emergency Department at Lister Hospital, Stevenage
- Caretaker role for Orchard Surgery, Buntingford and Ware Road Surgery, Hertford
- Management of Winter Pressure Schemes
- Project Management and delivery of Extended Access from April 2018
- Flu Season - helping to raise awareness for all practices in the federation and procurement of compaign materials and buying group
- Management of Locality training fundand providing Clarity Appraisal Toolkit for GPs in the locality
See below link for our latest CQC rating - we were rated "GOOD" in 2015:
(Site updated 09/11/2018)